A couple we had worked with in 2011 recently came into our office. They had some life changes that had occurred in the past 7 years and were unsure if they could make things work. They came back to speak with us and shared a little bit of their story and thoughts on working with a broker. Check out their story below! **Names Changed for privacy purposes**
Jane and her husband Kevin never in a million years would have thought that they could own a detached home in the Fraser Valley. One look at the market and they felt “stuck” where they were in their two-bedroom townhome in Kamloops, British Columbia. They had purchased their townhome in 2011 by working with us at Dominion Lending Centres.
They loved their little home but a job opportunity for Kevin opened up and the need for more space (with baby #2 on the way) was pulling them towards the Fraser Valley. Now they had their doubts about being able to afford a house in the Lower Mainland. They had strong credit and very little debt, but there is always the “unknown” when you are looking at buying a home. They decided to reach out to us again—and we were all in to make their dream become a reality!
After a few weeks of shopping around they found a picture-perfect home in the Valley for $675,000—and were able to move in just last month (just in time for the holidays!)
When asked why they opted to work with a broker, they said it was due to the ability of Mortgage Brokers being a “One stop shop”—no shopping around from bank to bank or having to have your information pulled and sent off to several different lenders. It was all done for them. They were able to send all of their information and let us do the rest. And the best part for Jane and Kevin? We got them a great rate back in 2011 and were able to do the same in 2018!
Why else should you choose to work with a broker instead of the bank? Just a few reasons for you…
1. A broker can access rates that your bank can’t. They can access:
i. Tier 1 banks in Canada
ii. Credit Unions
iii. Monoline Lenders
iv. Alternative Lenders
v. Private Lenders
This extensive network allows brokers to ensure that you are not only getting the sharpest rate, but the mortgage product is also aligned with the client’s needs.
2. A broker will negotiate on your behalf, directly with a lender. There is no “grunt work” needed on your part—your mortgage broker does it all for you.
3. A Mortgage Broker can produce and show you several different options so that you can select the optimal product for your specific needs. A broker won’t just look at the rate, they will also look at:
i. Prepayment options
ii. Costs of Borrowing
iv. Blending and Extending
v. Penalty to break
4. A broker can save you some serious cash! Because they have access to a multitude of different lenders and can offer discounts the bank can’t people end up saving money when they work with a mortgage broker.
5. Working with a broker means you have someone on your side—always. Mortgage Brokers will work to provide you with industry information and updates long after your mortgage is completed. They want to make sure that the product that was right for you when you signed is still the right one for you today and in the future.
Mortgage Brokers are a dedicated group of individuals who work directly for the client, not the lenders or the bank. Brokers are problem-solvers, advisors and honourable individuals. We work hard to give our clients the best that we can in an industry that constantly is evolving and changing.
Kevin and Jane made the right choice working with us here at DLC.